FEMA GO: The new system for managing fire grant programs
The new system is designed to be user-friendly and streamline the fire grant application process
FEMA GO is here! But what is it and how will it impact you?
FEMA GO is short for FEMA’s Grants Outcomes system, a new platform the agency is using to manage its grant programs.
FEMA GO will operate uniformly across the Assistance to Firefighter Grants (AFG), Staffing for Adequate Fire & Emergency Response (SAFER) and Fire Prevention & Safety (FP&S) applications. The new system is meant to be more user-friendly, feature plain language, and streamline the application process.
Originally, we thought the GO system would be operational beginning with the 2019 AFG application; however, that is not the case. FEMA is utilizing the GO system to make 2018 AFG awards.
What you need to know about FEMA GO
Here’s some basic information about FEMA GO system:
- All the AFG programs are the pilot programs in FEMA GO system.
- Starting with fiscal year 2018, AFG, SAFER and FP&S awards, plus all future grants, will be managed within FEMA GO system.
- The fiscal year 2019 AFG, SAFER and FP&S applications will be submitted using FEMA GO system.
- Sometime in 2020, departments that received 2015 AFG awards will be required to submit final performance report (close-out documents) in the FEMA GO system.
Registering in the FEMA GO system
If your department is awarded a 2018 AFG, SAFER or FP&S grant award, you will need to register in the FEMA GO system to accept those awards. If you have not already registered your department in the FEMA GO system, we urge you to do so immediately.
The process is rather simple and only takes about 15 minutes. FEMA provides a step-by-step PowerPoint that you can review to assist with the registration process, available in the FEMA document library.
Here’s what you will need to do for your FEMA GO registration:
- To initiate your department’s registration in the FEMA GO system, visit https://go.fema.gov.
- Once you are on this site, select the Create an Account button. This will prompt you to enter your email address and then to prove that you are not a robot.
- When this is completed, you will receive an email with a link to complete your registration. Click on the link in the email. (Check your Junk/Spam email to be sure it isn’t there prior to calling FEMA GO help desk). Note: The link in the email is only active for 24 hours.
- Complete your registration by entering your first and last name, and creating a password. Then confirm your password and submit it.
Assuming you don’t receive an error message, you can now access FEMA GO by logging in.
Once you are on the landing page, you can register your organization, add team members, and manage your profile.
If your 2018 grant applications don’t appear on your organization page, do not become concerned. FEMA is in the process of migrating all this information to the new system and has not completed the process.
If you have problems with your registration, you can call 1-877-611-4700.
We urge you to complete your FEMA GO registration as soon as possible.