Wis. FD orders Pierce Volterra electric pumper following 18-month trial placement
The Madison Fire Department was one of three U.S. departments to collaborate with Pierce to provide daily operational data to assist with the vehicle's final development
By FireRescue1 Staff
APPLETON, Wis. – Pierce Manufacturing Inc., announced Monday that it has secured a purchase order from the city of Madison Fire Department in Wisconsin for a Pierce Volterra electric pumper.
The agreement follows an 18-month placement of a Pierce Volterra pumper at the department’s busiest station, Station No. 8, making it the first electric fire truck in service in North America.
The Madison Fire Department was one of three fire departments across the United States to collaborate and provide daily operational data to assist with the final development, evaluation and on-highway certification processes.
“We were honored to be a part of the testing process for the Pierce Volterra electric pumper and worked closely with Pierce representatives to ensure we were equipped with a highly capable fire apparatus to tackle our daily missions,” said Scott Bavery, assistant fire chief of the City of Madison Fire Department. “Our positive experience with this electric fire truck and the support team, along with our community’s dedication to meeting environmental sustainability goals, were all factors in our decision to purchase a Pierce Volterra apparatus and make it a prominent addition to our fleet.”
City of Madison Fire Department’s Pierce Volterra configuration includes:
- Pierce Enforcer custom chassis with seating for 6
- TAK-4 Independent Front Suspension
- 246 kWh battery solution with standard 6-year warranty
- Consolidated, safety focused, high voltage integration
- Industry leading underbody ground clearance
- Compartmentation: Full height, full depth, formed aluminum construction with over 155 cu. ft. of storage, uninterrupted by high voltage battery integration
- 1,500 GPM single stage pump
- 500-gallon water tank
- Intuitive Command Zone purpose-built electrical control system
- CZ Connect Telematics for remote access and service support
The Volterra’s operation:
- Traditional control for simplified and standardized apparatus operation
- Oshkosh patented parallel-electric drivetrain featuring an electro-mechanical infinitely variable transmission
- Zero-emissions pumping and driving in EV mode, with the ability to provide continuous and uninterrupted power to the pumping system or drive system through the backup internal combustion engine
- Exceptional operational range tailored to the fire department’s needs and duty cycle for full-shift operation
- Fire station-based, all-encompassing vehicle charging infrastructure offers a thorough, simple, and fast charging solution through Madison Gas and Electric
City of Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway, and Fleet Superintendent Mahanth Joishy, both took part in the introduction of the Pierce Volterra electric fire truck in Madison in June 2021, sharing their agenda and municipal plan to drive environmental change.
Joishy stated, “Since 2018, the city went from zero to 94 electric vehicles, added 160 hybrid vehicles, and the Pierce Volterra pumper represents the first electric fire truck to support our fire department’s brave first responders. Fire trucks are among the hardest vehicles to electrify and it’s incredible to be part of this special moment in history.”
Mayor Rhodes-Conway described the City of Madison’s Climate Forward Agenda, the function of electric fleet vehicles, and the impact on a state-wide and national scale. City officials strongly supported purchasing a Pierce Volterra electric fire truck because the technology demonstrator exceeded expectations.
“Purchasing a Pierce Volterra pumper will make an immediate and impactful contribution to the city’s commitment towards environmental change. Through reduced diesel fuel usage, the pumper is expected to eliminate over 31.8 metric tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) from being emitted into the environment every year,” said Mayor Rhodes-Conway. “The Pierce Volterra electric fire truck not only gives us confidence our fire department will have the most advanced equipment to support their needs, but also drives environmental change as we take meaningful action toward building a clean energy economy.”
Request product info from top Fire Apparatus companies