Registration opens for 11th Annual 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb at Lambeau Field in Green Bay
The 11th annual 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb at Lambeau Field will take place Saturday, September 9, 2023. Registration is now open for the event co-sponsored by the Green Bay Metro Fire Department and Pierce Manufacturing.
APPLETON, Wis. — Pierce Manufacturing Inc., an Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE:OSK) company, announced registration is now open for the 11th annual 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Co-sponsored by Pierce and the Green Bay Metro Fire Department, this year’s climb will take place on Saturday, September 9, 2023. The gathering welcomes all who desire to pay tribute to the 343 firefighters who perished on September 11, 2001. All proceeds collected support the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation (NFFF). For more information and to sign up in advance, visit piercemfg.com/climb.
The 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb at Lambeau Field has grown into one of the largest events of its kind in the nation. Last year’s record attendance exceeded 2,800 members of the fire service, their families, friends, and community members who helped raise more than $180,000 for the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation in 2022.
"Over two decades have passed since 9/11, but the memory of that day is still deeply ingrained in our minds. Our yearly memorial stair climb serves as a modest tribute to the firefighters who lost their lives on that fateful day," stated Chief Matthew Knott from the Green Bay Metro Fire Department. "We're thankful for the chance to enable individuals to acknowledge these brave souls and to generate funds for the invaluable support offered by the NFFF."
On the iconic Lambeau Field steps, participants will undertake a climb equivalent to 110 stories - the height of the collapsed World Trade Center towers. Climbers are given an honor badge displaying the name and picture of a fallen firefighter, representing the ascent they faced on that tragic day. Upon reaching the height of the 78th floor of the towers, the highest point reached by firefighters on 9/11, each climber rings the fire bell in tribute to the fallen hero on their badge. The stair climb is not a competitive race, and participants are free to climb to any level they choose.
Event details include:
- Event registration is $35 per climber through July 8, 2023, $40 per climber July 9 - August 12, 2023, and $45 per person through the day of the climb.
- Pre-registrants will receive an event t-shirt if registered by August 12, and all climbers will receive an honor badge.
- Climbers can pre-register and check in the evening before the climb on September 8 from 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. near Lot 5 at Lambeau Field.
- An opening ceremony will take place at 9:00 a.m. on September 9 featuring the Presentation of the Colors, National Anthem, comments from the NFFF, and a prayer. Climbing safety guidelines and instructions will be announced prior to the bagpiper procession into the stadium.
- Start times will be organized into 10-minute waves of 343 climbers and will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Entertainment will be provided on the stage near the Kwik Trip Gate for event supporters and participants waiting to climb.
- Pre-registration, event details, and FAQs are available on the Facebook event page or at piercemfg.com/climb.
Pierce and the Green Bay Metro Fire Department support the NFFF’s mission to develop and expand programs to honor and remember America’s fallen fire heroes and provide resources to assist their families in rebuilding their lives. Through the Fire Hero Family Network, support networks, conferences, workshops, and scholarships, the NFFF has led a nationwide effort to develop and expand programming for the entire fire service community.
“The events of 9/11 are of great significance to today’s fire service as they symbolize the immense sacrifice, courage, and dedication in the face of unparalleled adversity,” said Bob Schulz, president of Pierce Manufacturing. “The tragic loss of 343 firefighters during the 9/11 attacks serves as a constant reminder of the inherent risk firefighters face in their line of duty and strengthens the sense of camaraderie and unity as we honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice. The 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb allows us to come together as a community to show we will never forget, and to support the fire service beyond the apparatus we build each day.”
For more information about Pierce Manufacturing, the NFFF, and the 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb, visit www.piercemfg.com/climb.