2 Philly firefighters shocked after ladder hits power line
One firefighter suffered third-degree burns to his foot and the other suffered minor injuries; they're in stable condition
PHILADELPHIA — Two firefighters were in stable condition this morning after their ladder came into contact with live electrical wires at the scene of a blaze in North Philadelphia.
The firefighters, who were not identified, were removing debris from a rowhouse on the 2400 block of Norris Street when their ladder came in contact with a power line.
The fire was reported at 9:31 a.m., said Capt. William Dixon. White smoke was billowing from the old stone rowhouse as firefighters arrived three minutes later. The blaze was placed under control at 9:38, Dixon said.
Rodney Whetstone, 45, said he saw one of the firefighters collapse as the ladder touched the line at about 10 a.m.
"It was a freak accident, they were too close to that wire," Whetstone said.
The injured firefighters were taken to Temple University Hospital for treatment.
Copyright 2015 Philly.com
All Rights Reserved