Safety tips during overhaul
By Vincent Dunn
1. Do not throw objects from a window during overhaul unless the area is clear, and you have been signaled to do so by another freighter acting as a guide.
2. When trimming broken glass from windows, knock the glass shard inside, not outside.
3. When assigned to operate around the perimeter of a burning building, be aware of the danger of falling objects and wear proper protective clothing. A well-fitted helmet, gloves and an eye-shield in the down position can protect you.
4. When venting windows from inside, attempt to open the window before breaking glass. Double paned windows in new and renovated buildings can be more quickly and fully opened manually then by breaking glass.
- Vincent Dunn is a retired FDNY Deputy Chief. For more tactical advice and tips, go to Vincentdunn.com. For lecture information, call 1-800-231-3388.