How are firefighters supposed to juggle EVERYTHING?
Firefighters are reporting crushing staffing challenges and increased stress
In this episode of FireRescue1’s “What’s YOUR Problem?” – part of our What Firefighters Want special coverage series – Deputy Chief Billy Goldfeder answers this reader question:
I’ve been on the job for 20 years and it’s nothing like when I first started. We are called out to everything now. I get it, it’s part of the job, but the call volume is ramped up and now the OT feels endless. When am I supposed to find time to do anything other than just sleep on my days off? My mental health and family life are struggling.
Check out Chief Goldfeder's response, which includes these stats from the What Firefighters Want survey:
- 94% of respondents said their FD has experienced staffing challenges in the past 3 years
- 52% said their department does NOT have a strong recruitment plan in place
- 87% said the scope of the job has increased since they began working in the fire service
- 46% of respondents are considering leaving their current FD
- 42% are considering leaving the fire service all together due to their stress
Visit the What Firefighters Want resource center for some additional content about what other firefighters have to say about stress and staffing challenges.
Improve the safety and effectiveness of your department and personnel with an online training solution from FireRescue1 Academy. Access more than 1,000 courses and videos, including more than 440 hours of approved EMS CEUs. With FireRescue1 Academy, training can be delivered during in-service, field training or in a self-paced format. SCHEDULE A FREE DEMO NOW!